Photo by Jason Suarez, @notafraid2fail
“It’s not who I am. It’s something that happened to me.”
Abbey Cooper was the talk of this year’s U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials. She may not have ultimately made Team USA, but Abbey, who is sponsored by New Balance, threw down not one but two of the most inspiring, gutsy performances at Hayward Field. First, in the 5K prelims, when she broke away from the field and ran the majority of the race solo in pursuit of the Olympic Standard (and she hit it, with a few seconds to spare!). Then, in the 5K final, when she was with the lead pack until the final moments, when she ultimately finished fourth, just one and a half seconds off the podium. Abbey is perhaps best known for her performance at the 2016 Rio Olympics, when she fell during the 5K prelims. But people don’t talk about the fall — they talk about how Abbey got right back up and helped her fellow competitor to the finish. On this episode, Abbey talks about how Rio has — and hasn’t — defined her, and she reflects on the highs (like her recent 5K personal best at the Prefontaine Classic!) and those just-missed moments on the track.
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Abbey reflects on her 5K PR at the Pre Classic, and why she feels like she’s been “running on house money” this year (4:50)
- On working with a sports psychologist: Abbey’s husband (9:40)
- What it means to be “relationally healthy” (11:00)
- What it was like watching friend Molly Seidel win bronze at the Olympic marathon (18:30)
- On entering the off season (22:00)
- Reflecting on this year’s Olympic Track & Field Trials (25:45)
- On all those just-missed moments along the way (40:35)
- On being defined — or not — by Rio 2016 (44:20)
- More thoughts on just-missed moments and the lessons that come with them (55:00)
- On “trusting the process with both commitment and surrender” (1:00:45)
- What does “Running with Heart” mean right now? (1:05:15)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!