“This was something I would never pass up. It’s the opportunity of a lifetime to document these moments.”
Cortney White has a unique lens on the running world — literally. Cortney is a professional photographer who just spent the past two months on the road with Shalane Flanagan, documenting every step of her Project Eclipse journey. On this episode, Cortney talks about how she got involved with this project, and shares her own highlights, challenges, and most memorable moments from the six-marathons-in-six-cities experience. She also talks about getting started in the industry, about the camaraderie among running photographers, and about why she wants to get cameras in the hands of more women. Plus, behind-the-scenes stories from her adventures, all about her #vanlife, and her answer to whether she’s ever missed a major moment on camera.
SPONSOR: goodr. Click here and use code ONTHERUN15 for 15% off your entire goodr order!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- All about Cortney’s #vanlife (4:00)
- How Cortney got involved with Project Eclipse (6:00)
- Seeing that giant billboard in NYC (12:30)
- The logistical side of Project Eclipse (15:20)
- Cortney’s favorite photo from Project Eclipse (29:45)
- Project Eclipse superlatives! (32:55)
- The camaraderie among professional photographers (35:30)
- All about that Abby Wambach and Glennon Doyle moment at the New York City Marathon (48:50)
- How Cortney got her start as a photographer (51:50)
- On working with the Bowerman Track Club during a difficult year (59:45)
- Cortney’s favorite part of the job and the ultimate dream assignment (1:02:30)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!