“I will be a nervous wreck until that gun goes off, but I will never race like I’m nervous… As soon as I’m racing, it all goes out the window, and I’m always going to race my heart out, no matter what.”
At last summer’s U.S. Olympic Track & Field Team Trials, Allie Wilson officially solidified her spot as “one to watch” in the 800m. The professional runner for Atlanta Track Club Elite made it to the final round of the 800, ultimately finishing sixth. And despite not making the Olympic team, she walked away from Hayward Field proudly — and with a new personal best (1:59.02). On this episode, Allie reflects on her first Olympic Trials experience. She talks about her pre-race meltdown before the first round of competition, and talks about how she deals with race-day nerves. Allie talks about why she likes “racing under the radar,” and about how she’s learned not to count herself out when it matters the most. (“I may not be the fastest person going into the Trials, but I’m one of the fastest,” Allie says. “And anything can happen if you put your mind to it.”) Plus, all about heat training in Florida and what’s on tap for 2022.
SPONSOR: The Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon, 10K, and 5K, all taking place on February 6, 2022. Click here to register today!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- All about what Allie is up to in Florida right now (5:40)
- On Allie’s evolution as a runner (12:10)
- Reflecting on last summer’s U.S. Olympic Track & Field Team Trials (15:20)
- How Allie learned not to count herself out (19:15)
- All about that first round at the Trials (24:40)
- How Allie was feeling heading into the semi-finals (34:40)
- Breaking down the 800m final at the Olympic Trials (39:00)
- On racing happy and loving this sport (47:30)
- How Allie ended up in Atlanta (53:50)
- What’s on tap for 2022? (58:45)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!