“I was a complete mess. I was so emotional about it, so excited, so just…relieved to have come in, having a lot of momentum, knowing this was a possibility, and then completing a mission.”
Olivia Baker is on fire. The professional runner for Atlanta Track Club Elite just competed at the USATF Indoor Track & Field Championships where she finished second in the 800m, officially making her first senior world championship team. She’ll head to Serbia later this month to represent Team USA at Indoor World Championships. In this conversation, Olivia reflects on the road to Team USA, including dealing with disappointment after last summer’s U.S. Olympic Track & Field Team Trials, weighing the decision of whether or not to attend medical school, and ultimately joining Atlanta Track Club Elite instead. She gushes about her teammates, talks about the tough times and low moments, and shares her confidence journey. Plus, commentating, book clubs, chocolate milkshakes, and more.
Shokz — Use code OTR15 for 15% off wireless headphones.
St. Jude Rock ‘n’ Roll Nashville — Use code ONTHERUN10 for $10 off your registration for this year’s races, taking place April 23–24.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How it feels to be representing Team USA, and what the start line felt like at USATF Indoor Track & Field Championships (4:50)
- On knowing when it’s time to kick (6:45)
- That finish line feeling (10:15)
- Did this feel like the “more” Olivia wanted two years ago? (14:15)
- Olivia’s relationship with Ajeé Wilson (14:50)
- What Olivia’s training will look like between now and World Championships in Serbia, and what the travel there is expected to be like (18:45)
- The impact Olivia’s coaches and teammates have had on her (25:30)
- What Young Olivia was like, learning to get over being “obsessively afraid of racing,” and how she’s learned to deal with disappointment (35:45)
- Olivia’s decision not to attend medical school last year (40:45)
- Why Olivia joined Atlanta Track Club Elite (45:30)
- On confidence, commentating, and book clubs (51:00)
For more, check out:
“Dear Younger Me,” by Olivia Baker for MileSplit
A Beautiful Work in Progress by Mirna Valerio
Grit by Angela Duckworth
Let’s Get Physical by Danielle Friedman
Running For My Life by Lopez Lomong
The Power by Naomi Alderman
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!