“I’m tired. But I’m feeling pretty good. I’ve got a job to do and I need to do it and that’s kind of it. I’m on a mission. I just need to get it done.”
Jacky Hunt-Broersma is on a quest to run 100 marathons in 100 days. That’s 26.2 miles every single day for 100 days straight, while raising money for Amputee Blade Runners. We recorded this episode together at 8 AM on Day 75. Jacky — a running coach and ultramarathoner whose next goal is the Moab 240 Endurance Run — had just gotten her two kids off to school, and was getting ready for marathon number 75. In this conversation, we get to know the Jacky today, who is more than 3/4 of the way through her record-setting challenge. And we get to know the 26-year-old Jacky from 2001, who woke up one day with a golf ball-sized mass on her leg. She was diagnosed with Ewing sarcoma, a rare cancer, and had her leg amputated just weeks after the diagnosis. It wasn’t until 15 years later that Jacky started running, and she says her only regret is that she didn’t start sooner. In this conversation, Jacky talks about the highest (running with her daughter!) and lowest (Day 35) points of this 100-marathon challenge, about dealing with mom guilt along the way, and about her plans for marathon #92, which she’ll run in the para division of the Boston Marathon.
SPONSOR: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Peachtree Road Race — Registration for this year’s virtual Peachtree is now open! Click the link to be a part of this historic 10K today.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Jacky was feeling at 8 AM on Day 75, and her plan for the day (5:20)
- How Jacky got through an especially tough run recently (9:50)
- Jacky’s running must-haves (16:00)
- How Jacky is feeling emotionally (17:40)
- All about the recovery process during this adventure (19:40)
- How Jacky is involving her children and family in this process (23:00)
- Jacky’s cancer story, and how she found running (25:50)
- Learning to run with a running blade (39:20)
- All about Jacky’s 100 marathons in 100 days challenge (44:00)
- Jacky’s plans for the Boston Marathon, and for marathon #100 (51:00)
- Jacky’s most memorable marathons so far — and the day that “nearly broke her” (53:15)
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!