“This is the time in my life where I’m trying to do whatever I can to be the fastest I can and get the furthest in running that I can. So anything that is not working toward that goal just doesn’t make any sense.”
For the second year in row, professional marathoner Nell Rojas had a big day in Boston. She finished 10th overall at the 126th Boston Marathon, running a personal best (2:25:57), and finishing as the top U.S. woman in the field. In this conversation, Nell talks Boston beyond the numbers. She talks about the pre-race press conference and about breaking some big news before the race: After signing with adidas earlier this year, Nell recently ended that partnership in favor of racing in shoes that she felt better suited her body. She talks about that difficult decision, and about how it weighed on her during her Boston build-up. Plus, she talks about her pre-race routine, about how the race played out, and about what’s next.
SPONSOR: The WineShine Half Marathon — Register today for the inaugural event, happening July 16, 2022, and use code ONTHERUN to get $25 off your registration. See you in Napa!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- All about Nell’s Boston buildup (4:30)
- The Boston Marathon press conference experience (8:40)
- Nell talks about sponsorship stuff (11:00)
- How Nell decided what to wear on the run (17:40)
- Nell’s goals for this year’s Boston Marathon (20:15)
- How the race played out (26:30)
- How this year’s race compared to Boston 2021 (29:30)
- Nell’s pre-race routine (33:30)
- What the later miles in the race were like (37:20)
- Nell’s High / Low / High from Marathon Monday (42:35)
- What happens after the finish line (46:10)
- What’s next on the sponsorship front and beyond (49:40)
For more, check out:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!