“It takes a lot to get to a start line. I never take that for granted.”
Shalane Flanagan has run the Boston Marathon six times: four times as a professional athlete; once as a retired pro, the day after racing the Chicago Marathon; and now, as a guide. Shalane is a four-time Olympian, an Olympic silver medalist, and the 2017 New York City Marathon champion. She is a coach, a New York Times best-selling cookbook author, and a mom to two-year-old Jack. After racing the Boston Marathon in the fall as part of Project Eclipse, Shalane returned to Boston this year — and it was different than any other time she had run the race. Because this time, Shalane’s race wasn’t about the pursuit of a podium or a personal best. She ran the race as Adrianne Haslet‘s coach and guide in the para athletics division. In this conversation, Shalane talks about coaching Adrianne, about her own training for this race, and about her goals as Adrianne’s guide. She shares her favorite memories from the course, and talks about what’s next both on and off the run.
SPONSOR: UCAN — Go to ucan.co/ali and use code ALI for 20% off your next UCAN order.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Shalane’s memories of meeting Adrianne Haslet (4:10)
- Shalane’s history with the Boston Marathon (6:15)
- Shalane’s most profound memory from this year’s Boston Marathon (10:30)
- On experiencing running a marathon in the middle of the pack (17:30)
- All about the crowds from Hopkinton to Boston (21:00)
- What it was like coaching Adrianne for Boston (25:45)
- What Shalane’s Boston training was like (30:00)
- The race plan (37:00)
- How Shalane kept the focus on Adrianne on race day (41:55)
- Shalane’s favorite parts of the Boston Marathon course, and what the finish line was like (47:30)
- The toughest parts of the day (51:50)
- Shalane’s top Boston memories from over the years (54:20)
- What hasn’t Shalane done? (58:25)
- How Shalane fit this experience into her life (1:00:20)
- The weight of the past year and a half (1:04:20)
For more, check out:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!