“I’m in this whole new world of what they call marathon training. I don’t know. I’m still in denial!”
Emily Durgin is having one heck of a year on the run. The adidas-sponsored professional runner lives and trains in Flagstaff, AZ (though, she says, “Maine will always be home home”), and 2022 has been good to her. She kicked off the year at the Houston Half Marathon, where she ran a personal best (67:54), and became the sixth-fastest American woman ever in the half marathon. And then, the personal bests just kept coming: Emily ran PBs in the 10,000 meters, the 5K, the 10K, and the 15K. But in some ways, she’s just getting started. Emily is moving up in distance! She’s gearing up for her 26.2-mile debut at the TCS New York City Marathon in November! In this conversation, Emily talks about why she wanted to make her marathon debut this year, why she wanted to do it in New York, and what her training looks like. Plus, how she’s gained confidence on the track and the roads over the past year.
- UCAN: Click here and use code ALI for 20% off your next UCAN order.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Where is “home?” (2:50)
- All about Emily’s run today, and how she’s feeling about marathon training so far (3:40)
- Why Emily always runs the Beach to Beacon 10K (7:55)
- Why now? Emily’s decision to make her marathon debut in 2022 (10:40)
- The women Emily loves racing with and against (15:30)
- Emily’s reflections on her summer of racing, and the races that boosted her confidence (17:30)
- What Emily pictures when she thinks about the New York City Marathon (20:20)
- Is there pressure that comes with making a marathon debut? (26:45)
- What pre-race Emily is like (29:35)
- Emily’s earliest memories of becoming a runner (33:50)
- Emily’s road to becoming a professional runner (40:45)
- What a day in the life of a professional runner is like (49:50)
For more, check out:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!