“I’ve never been someone that felt like I did my best work trying to prove somebody wrong. I do my best work trying to prove somebody right.”
It hasn’t been an easy year for three-time world championship medalist, three-time Olympian, and Olympic bronze medalist Jenny Simpson. In the 48 hours before the calendar turned from 2021 to 2022, Jenny watched as her world began to crumble. On December 30, wildfires engulfed her historic home — a former schoolhouse, beloved by Jenny and her husband, Jason, and by their community. They (with their dog, Truman) evacuated, hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. On December 31, her 12-year contract with New Balance ended, and wasn’t renewed — something Jenny calls “a great heartbreak.” Plus, the 1500-meter legend was injured. In true Jenny form, though, she’s seeing the bright side now. Jenny and Jason’s home somehow survived the fire, and after being displaced for three months, they were able to move back in and rebuild their lives. She’s no longer injured, and with all systems go, she’s officially transitioning from the track to the roads, with longer distances in mind. (“I’m not training for a marathon,” she swears.) Two weeks ago, she won the Army 10-Miler, and she has one more race on the calendar for 2022. And she is, once again, a fully sponsored professional athlete. Jenny signed with Puma earlier this year. Today, she’s here to talk about all of it.
- UCAN: Click here and use code ALI for 20% off your next UCAN order.
- Napa Valley Marathon & Half Marathon: Click here to register for these races — taking place March 5, 2023 — today!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Jenny has brought her community together in the wake of last year’s Colorado wildfires (3:30)
- The lingering trauma from the wildfires (10:10)
- What Jenny’s running has been like over the past year (16:30)
- On Jenny’s recent Army 10-Miler win, and how she’s feeling now (21:40)
- Is Jenny Simpson ready to become a marathoner? (36:45)
- How is Jenny measuring her success on the roads? (42:50)
- On the end of Jenny’s New Balances sponsorship, and the beginning of her partnership with Puma (49:00)
- Jenny’s shoes of choice right now (54:15)
- Did Jenny watch the Fifth Avenue Mile this year? (57:55)
- What Jenny sees in U.S. women’s distance running right now (1:01:25)
- What running feels like for Jenny right now (1:07:15)
For more, check out:
“Is Top Miler Jenny Simpson About to Be a Marathoner?” by Sarah Lorge Butler for Runner’s World
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!