“I don’t think anyone goes as hard as a dance floor full of professional or elite runners. Everyone was going bananas.”
Last year at the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials, Sage Hurta was in an exciting spot. Off the track, the seven-time All-American had just graduated from the University of Colorado and signed her first professional contract with On Athletics Club. And on the track: She was in the semi-finals of the 800m race, charging into the final 100 meters of the race with plans and dreams to advance to the final and maybe, hopefully make her first world championship team. But then she went down. Sage fell hard, breaking her wrist in the process. It was a heartbreaking day.
The good news: 2022 has been the ultimate redemption year. In her first full year as an On-sponsored professional athlete, Sage (who just married teammate Joe Klecker!) entered 2022 having never broken two minutes in the 800m, and then went on to break 2:00 not once, not twice, but three times in the span of just six days. (And then, once more for good measure in August, where she ran 1:57 in Monaco, a new personal best.) She also ran a 1500m personal best (4:01.79) and took the win at the Ed Murphey classic. In this conversation, Sage reflects on 2021, shares her 2022 highlight reel, and looks forward to 2023 and beyond.
- UCAN: Click here and use code ALI for 20% off your next UCAN order.
- Napa Valley Marathon & Half Marathon: Click here to register for these races — taking place March 5, 2023 — today!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- All about Sage’s recent wedding (and name change decision!) to teammate Joe Klecker (4:50)
- How Sage would sum up 2022 (11:30)
- The process of going pro (13:00)
- Sage reflects on last year’s U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials, and that fall during the 800m semifinal (19:50)
- On growing up with runner parents, and how Sage became a runner (28:30)
- On breaking 2:00 in the 800m for the first time, and the art of “Sage Rage” (32:45)
- Why Sage loves the 800, and how she puts that fall out of her head when she’s racing (41:45)
- What’s next on Sage’s racing calendar? (48:45)
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!