“I went in with zero expectations — let’s see what happens! — and totally surprised myself.”
Lindsay Flanagan just represented Team USA at the World Athletics Championship marathon in Budapest. She finished ninth, was the top American of the day, and is feeling psyched about how it all played out. In this conversation, the Asics-sponsored athlete and two-time member of Team USA recaps her experience at World Championships, including a lost luggage situation, what the crowds in Budapest were like, and how the whole race went down. (Fun fact: Lindsay’s roommate was fellow Team USA marathoner Susanna Sullivan!)
- UCAN: Click here to get a FREE Edge sample pack (you’ll just pay the cost of shipping), and use code ALI23 for 20% off your next UCAN order.
- goodr: Use code ONTHERUN for free shipping on your entire order.
- Vacation Races: Click here and use code ONTHERUN200 for $200 off any Global Adventures trip, or code ONTHERUN15 for 15% off any half marathon or ultra marathon registration.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- On dealing with post-Budapest jet lag, marathon recovery, and wrapping up the 2023 racing season (3:55)
- Lindsay’s approach to Orlando 2024 (8:45)
- Lindsay reflects on running her “breakthrough” 2:24 at last year’s Gold Coast Marathon (10:30)
- How Lindsay found out she made Team USA (12:15)
- Lindsay’s stories from the World Championships marathon finish line (17:40)
- All about the pre-race vibes, group texts, athlete lounges, and more (22:00)
- How Lindsay was feeling the night before the marathon (32:00)
- How Lindsay was feeling the morning of the race (35:00)
- Lindsay breaks down her race at the 2023 World Athletics Championships marathon in Budapest (41:15)
- On being satisfied and always wanting more (55:30)
- What happened after Lindsay crossed the finish line (57:20)
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
- Subscribe to the newsletter
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!